Thursday, June 4, 2009

Remodeling Opinion Needed, Round One

We are teetering on the precipice of a major remodeling venture for the summer--tearing down the (loadbearing) wall in between our kitchen and dining room, completely rearranging our kitchen, installing new cabinets and an island, ripping up the existing tile (and myriad layers underneath) to expose the hardwood floors, and installing a bathroom on the main floor. We will be kitchenless for much of the summer; anyone want to have us over for dinner a night (or five)?

I'll be posting the gory details of the remodeling process throughout the summer, but Sam and I have different opinions about how our teeny powder room should be tiled. For any of you that haven't been to my house, it was built in 1905 and has built-in cabinetry, wood floors, and pocket doors. We will be installing tile from one of my clients, a really cool company called Subway Tile (www.subwaytile.com). I will refrain from telling you which of the two options I prefer, as Sam is aware that the readers of this blog are my family and friends and I don't want the results to appear biased. That being said, I earnestly hope you all will make the right choice so I can build my case for what is clearly the right choice.

The first picture is a marble hexagonal tile.

This next one is a marble basketweave pattern.



Don't bother going through a 'which wine goblet has the iocane powder' analysis to determine my preference based on the order I listed the pictures; I promise it was strictly random, and thus scientifically sound.

So, comments on preference?

4 comments:

  1. kefryn, who is painfully familiar with the loadbearing wall dilemmaJune 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM

    Hmmmm, tough choice. I have to admit I kind of like the second basket-weave pattern. It's still upholds the by-gone days feel but I haven't seen it as much as the hexagonal pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely prefer the basket-weave pattern. What is the down side up the basket-weave? Is it too modern? The hex pattern just doesn't really speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,

    If you are staying with the style/age of your home in your reno then I pick the top one. If you are "updating" the home and going more contemporary than 1900's then I pick the bottom. Good luck!

    We would LOVE to have you over for dinner some night. Thursdays are not our best, but we can do pretty much any other night and we have a swing arbor, stage, playhouse, water feature and track for the boys to go crazy on so you and Sam can sit and relax with us.

    Kenyon is SOOO big! When did that happen?

    Gwendolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the second one!!!
    Bodia

    ReplyDelete